We perceive _________ by our sense of sight
*we notice and understand all of these thanks to our sense of sight
Here is a friend you might see at AccesSurf!
This is what someone with a vision impairment might see:
What would be difficult?
- Locating the front and back of a rash guard
- Recognizing a friend waving from a distance
- Filling out the sign in sheet
- Noticing a dip in the sand
- Timing a wave
- Finding the correct size booties in a pile
What Can I do?
Recognize that not being able to fully see what is going on can be scary, and it can make some activities more difficult
Recognize how vision impacts a person’s ability to participate
Some things you can do to help
- Offer help by asking, “How can I help?”
- we want participants to do as much as they can by themselves to build their independence and make them feel confident!
- Update the participant of their environment
- “There’s a wave coming up!” or “It looks like there’s one more buckle to fasten on your life vest”
Common Visual Impairments
- detached retina
- color blindness
- macular degeneration